View Single Post
Old 2014-02-18, 04:45   Link #14
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Now, I can have a favorite character, but the rival should at least be an understandable partner for who they're going after, so no hard feelings. If I felt sorry my favorite lost, it's because the other character was an equal or better fit for the love interest. If I felt disgusted my favorite lost, odds are the show has done something wrong with the characters, chemistry, or both. It's an odd dichotomy that tells me how good or not the romance was (ignoring tragic pairings and wedlocked pairings).
After going through the many anime series I've watched, I realized that there are two series where I rooted for someone other than the main lead: Oreimo and Haganai. [I supported both Kuroneko and Ayase for Oreimo, while I preferred Rika to steal Kodaka's heart from Sena and Yozora.] The inverse of the first case applies to Haganai, where I felt sorry for Yozora for the events that led to the end of NEXT, while the other case was for Oreimo, where the finale left me disgusted towards the two girls I rooted (who were more obsessed to Kirino than in love with Kyousuke).

I have to disagree that this dichotomy is a decent litmus paper for the quality of romance. It's better to say that it demonstrated the emotional attachment the reader or viewer had in the story, regardless of who he/she rooted for. In the case of Oreimo, well played, Fushimi-sensei. I raged hard.

Quote:
Even in fanfiction.net, there were instances of online bullying in the Nanoha subsection because the author decided to not write Nanoha x Fate.
Off-topic: I'm sure somewhere out there, Ume-sensei wishes for a canon kiss between Nanoha and Fate.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote