View Single Post
Old 2008-12-03, 21:54   Link #5314
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
If you're from the US or UK, then, maybe. If you're from Canada, you've gotta laugh at the dumbness of the US. And for the rest of the world, no, you don't apologize for others, we're too kind already not to overthrow them.
No, see, you misunderstand. My point was simple: a common person does not usually have much of an urge to go around apologizing for his government's crimes, or his countrymen's mistake, or his co-religionist's radicalism, not unless provoked by some major event which required a reaction, and definitely not everyday so that the unconcerned West would hear, "I'm sorry for the Taliban, I'm sorry for the Taliban, I'm sorry for the Taliban" after being told that long and hard enough.

It has nothing to do with who's really at fault or US or UK or whatever. One outpouring of public sympathy and/or regret and outrage after a big event, perhaps, but more? Yeah right.

What the West could do, is try and learn what the hell is really going on, and go from there. Islam's internal conflict is just as engaged as its external conflict with modernism, perhaps much more, after all.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote