View Single Post
Old 2012-08-27, 20:36   Link #741
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Well, I just watched a subbed version of the OVA and I gotta say, it was big flop in my opinion. Whereas the series proper is the very best anime adaptation of an ongoing manga that I've ever seen, if this anime original had been the first episode of the series (and I hadn't read the manga, or maybe even if I had), I wouldn't have watched the rest of the series.

My biggest problem was the whole "Hell's Museum" bit. My primary objection is personal, not liking the concept of tying up women against their will. Well, I am assuming it was against Urabe's will, but we don't really know. I do realize that tying people up is how a certain segment of the Japanese population gets their sexual kicks, but it's not for me. Anyhow, I just found the whole "Hell's Museum" bit, how should I put it, too creepy for this series? No, more like out of place. It just didn't feel like it went with the flow of the anime (or manga for that matter).

I also found Oka irritatingly obnoxious, as usual, and there was one thing I just didn't get. Why would Urabe allow Oka to take her picture? Repeatedly? This was definitely a very big inconsistency. Did the anime writers forget that she doesn't like her picture taken? Guess so.

I can't say that I was terribly disappointed, as I had heard it rumored that it was going to be an anime original OVA (on top of the fact that I absolutely hated the lastest arc in the manga which came to a conclusion after anime series had ended). I would much have preferred that they had gone with one of the stand-alone episodes of the manga, of which there were several they could have chosen from. Frankly, I just don't get what they were trying to do with this OVA.

I have come away from watching this OVA wishing that I hadn't. Now, when I recommend that people watch the series, I'll have to add, "but don't bother watching the OVA."
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote