View Single Post
Old 2009-06-07, 17:38   Link #7
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
The japanese version seems to have a lot more rules than the chinese version (making it more complicated with the amount of hands allowed) and quite a nightmare of a scoring system too...I still need to learn it myself but there's noone to teach me this time round
Scoring itself isn't a beast in and of itself, but determining rankings at the end (A +44, B +13, C -16, D -41) is the tough part.

Typically, the more complex the rules are, the less of a factor luck is and so the "easier" the game is.

In my view -

Chinese Classic: 90% skill, 10% luck
Chinese Modern: 75% skill, 25% luck.
Japanese Classic: 50% skill, 50% luck.
Japanese Modern: 40% skill, 60% luck.
Hong Kong: 10% skill, 90% luck.

Hence, why I prefer the "Japanese Classic" style of mahjong (pre-Red 5's, Head Bump versus Double Ron) seen in Akagi and Tetsuya. It allows for all players to have a random chance of winning, and their skill make up the difference from there.

Japanese style is the most balanced between rules/luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
That website is pretty good...you don't have to sign up for much and there's a good number of players.
#mahjong@rizon.net manages that particular lobby. We have a bot in there called "7447bot". To bring down people from IRC into the lobby to play, make sure your chat is ON ("/chat ON") and type in a request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rias View Post
I've been searching for a english site that lets you play Japanese rules of MJ...which I could never find
Prior to late 2007, the de facto website of choice for play was MahjongTime. However, MahjongTime isn't what it used to be and has a number of problems associated with it, the least of which is requiring payment. I don't think that'll be a huge deal for the people at AnimeSuki, but the rates for registration on ron2 and Tenhou are much more reasonable (equivalent to $5 a month for unlimited play) versus the play-per-game aspect of MahjongTime.

The only advantage MahjongTime offers over Tenhou is in-game chat, which is why #mahjong was founded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Is "Japanse Mahjong" Flash by GameDesign (english) the Japanse variant or just a name for it, since I can't yet get my head around (all) those pesky kanji tiles. There are no flower tiles, so it should be close just want confirmation.
No, that is a computer-opponent flash game.

You're playing against real people in Tenhou.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote