View Single Post
Old 2009-12-08, 08:20   Link #4002
KanonTheFurniture
Witch's Golden Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaplaceNoMa View Post
It's not about fingering every character in this case. It looks like a lot of people are keeping up with the Jessitrice theory.
As for me, I'd say that Jessica is the most unlikely person to be 'fingered' as Beatrice. She is stupid, overemotive and definately not someone capable of thinking things out. And I'll have to see a very strong evidence to believe that all that 'stupid' outlook is just an act.
I don't think Jessica is really 'stupid' at all. Just because someone gets bad grades and doesn't have a strong interest in school doesn't make them stupid. I think it all stems from her wanting to rebel (consciously or otherwise) against her parents and the future they decided she would have. She doesn't have any interest in being the next head or any of the responsibilities that come with it, so naturally her grades would be affected. Again, whether she intentionally does poorly or if she's subconsciously sabotaging herself, it doesn't matter. She clearly just has no interest in it and that's why she gets bad grades. It's a pretty common thing for kids to do poorly in school but still be quite intelligent in areas that interest them. I was absolutely terrible in high school at math and science and anything that required such hard logical thinking, but I did (and continue to do) really well in areas where I can be creative, like writing, art, and the like. EP2 shows us that Jessica has a strong interest in music, for instance. Obviously her lifestyle makes it difficult for her to pursue this regularly, but whenever she gets the chance she apparently practices guitar, so music is probably one of her stronger passions, whereas things like math and language arts and the like may be more difficult for her just because she lacks interest or doesn't think in those ways. Not to mention, imagine having to spend almost all of your time studying, usually with a parent over your shoulder. Don't you think that you'd snap? If I were in that situation like Jessica, I'd go to school the next day and see it as an opportunity to relax because I've finally gotten away from my parents...and that would naturally lead to me not paying attention in class, and thus doing poorly.

Nowhere else in the story does it say or imply that Jessica is even remotely stupid. She just does poorly in school and gets bad grades, and everything about her lifestyle can be used to explain the reason for that. To use that as a means of saying she's not smart enough to pull off this sort of scheme is a little unfair. She doesn't 'act stupid' when you think about it, and there's really nothing to suggest that she's actually dumb. She's just not booksmart, or more likely, doesn't care to be, which is the contrast to George. George grew up complying with what his parents wanted and so his outlook became that he wanted to become smart and successful like his father. Jessica just wants to be your typical teenage rebel right now. Do you really think that's enough of a reason to deny the Jessica = Beatrice theory? I don't. I think she'd be more than capable of pulling off such a thing for a number of different reasons, and she's certainly not 'stupid'. I think there's a lot to support Jessica = Beatrice, and saying 'well she gets bad grades so there's no way she'd be able to get away with that' isn't nearly enough reason to deny the theory.
KanonTheFurniture is offline   Reply With Quote