View Single Post
Old 2012-01-27, 00:28   Link #996
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
It's basically a given that when the hero gains new powers it has to be shown how awesome they are.
It's true. Especially within a genre such as this. However, just because new powers are gained, doesn't mean the good guy has to dominate from beginning to end. Depending on the disparity in power implied to exist between the main protagonist and the big bad, it sometimes becomes more than enough just for the protagonist's new powers to allow him to stand on equal footing with the antagonist at all. Because that alone can serve as an adequate testament to how "awesome" the protagonists new powers are in certain cases. I'd argue Ichigo vs Aizen to be one of them.

Unlike Ichigo's bouts against Byakuya and Grimmjow (and even Ulquiorra), the ginormous disparity in power that Ichigo had to close just to rival Aizen's base strength was arguably already greater than the gap Ichigo initially had to close just to rival these other major enemies. Whats more is that none of those major enemies were benefited with several extra power boosts prior to their defeat. So to have Ichigo arrive on the scene more powerful than base Aizen and all the powers he gained (and then would continue to gain throughout the course of the battle) felt unbelievable, disappointing, anti-climactic, and confusing, among many other things.

As for Aizen's defeat, that whole mess has the potential to become another debate in and of itself TBH. From the way I view it, thanks to the question Ichigo proposed to Urahara in the next chapter on top of the things Kubo confirmed in the databooks, I've become one of those readers who finds it difficult to give more credit over the other to either Ichigo or Urahara. Because had Aizen not subconsciously desired to lose his powers after Ichigo sacrificed his own, who's to say he would've been weakened enough for Urahara's Kido to take effect? So assuming the hogyouku really did merely grant Aizen's wish, then Urahara's role becomes more irrelevant. Because regardless of Urahara's actions, Aizen would've been left completely powerless (except for his immortality) either way. And with no shinigami or hollow powers left, he was getting captured sooner or later without a doubt.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote