View Single Post
Old 2011-02-09, 00:57   Link #807
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

He didn't "lie" or "cheat" as such, but he basically extricated himself from a situation in which Erika and Bern were trying to push a solution through - regardless of its truth value - by issuing a "this is how it's gonna go" edict.

There's a certain hypocrisy in that. "I don't like you using misleading evidence to frame someone, but rather than bother using my conveniently newfound realizations to dazzle you at your own game without actually giving away Beatrice's heart, I'll beat you by declaring myself the winner."

Then next episode Erika tries to win by basically cheating again and Beatrice wins by cheating back. Okay, poetic justice, whatever, I kind of get that. But Will managed to play fair; why can't Battler in what is supposed to be his moment of apotheosis? Ryukishi couldn't think of anything as respectable as Will's solution battle?

Basically my problem is twofold:
  • That he had to invent the gold in the first place to get Battler out of the corner he'd written him into. It makes me think he didn't really know where else to go to finish out ep5.
  • That he intentionally strung us along with it for about a year, which makes me think he was hoping we'd forget about it by then.
Well I didn't forget, and it bothers the hell out of me in retrospect.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote