View Single Post
Old 2013-05-07, 13:17   Link #3653
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
classes stared later than expected but after 3 session, I'm now learned all the hiragana.

one thing I have to ask though: in the book I have, they translate "yashashii" (やさしい) as "easy", when I ask my teacher and she said it just mean "easy". but in anime, I often hear character use that word as "kind (ex: you're so kind)". are they just sound the same with different writing or something?

also, I surprised that she never heard of anime so I shown her ep 1 of "ef - a tale of memories". she really liked it and ask me if I can get japanese sub for it. anyone here know where to download a japanese sub track for the anime?
The yasashii for easy and the yasashii for gentle are not pronounced exactly the same (probably.. i haven't found out on this one specifically). Another good example of this is hashi (bridge) / hashi (chopsticks). If you think about it, Japanese is extremely limited in the sounds the language provides, so this happens quite a bit.

EDIT:

I just went on denshi jisho to see if they had pronunciations, and apparently, yasashii hito is an expression for a promiscuous person (using the 'easy' yasashii). Makes sense, but hadn't heard of that one before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
anyone here have any tip or trick to read hiragana faster beside read more? my reading speed is pathetically slow right now. @_@
Theres still Katakana to go (which is way more irritating, at least for me) before Kanji. In any case, reading speed also has a lot to do with your familiarity with the language and seeing words (or in this case Kanji.. though I guess there is more spacing between words in Japanese than before). While it is important, I don't think you should be too worried about reading speed, focusing on increasing your reading speed is something that you would do if you were lagging behind your peers in reading, or after you have a good enough grasp to be reading a lot.

Last edited by oompa loompa; 2013-05-07 at 13:33.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote