View Single Post
Old 2009-09-29, 01:50   Link #1065
Nobodyman9
Banned

All right, that's it. I can only go without talking about Shirley for so long.

This is a topic that's been discussed before, but I wish to bring it up again. With the release of the Zero Requiem DVD, or perhaps even before that, we came to realize that Shirley and Rolo supposedly were Lelouch's main motivation for Zero Requiem and that said ZR "gave meaning" to their deaths. Now I'm not gonna get into Rolo since this is, you know, the Shirley Thread. But as far as Shirley goes, well...I just don't see how Zero Requiem gives meaning to her death.

Frankly, I don't see how you can give meaning to her death. It's not like Shirley was really fighting for anything or she had some kind of distinct goal in mind that she wasn't able to accomplish during her life. All she wanted was to love and be with Lelouch and be the one thing that was true to him, and she died as a result of terrible luck and Lelouch's own ignorance. To me it just seems that Shirley was a nice girl who lived comfortably for most of her life, and then come into her 17th year Rolo, or Lelouch, or the Geass, or Villetta, or Mao, or Fate, or the Powers that be, or O&T, or maybe all of the above just pissed in her eye. Not much to it.

But back to Zero Requiem. Now, granted it wasn't all done JUST for Shirley, but supposedly she was a very big motivator for it and, as I said, it was supposed to bring meaning to her death. So would anyone care to explain to me how that works? How exactly does taking over the world and killing countless thousands, albeit to create the persona of a horrible brutish dictator and thus have all the hatred of the world focused on him, only to be killed and thus bringing peace and prosperity to the world, which Shirley, while I'm sure she wouldn't mind having, was never seen to have much stake in, and who I am sure would vastly disagree with his methods of doing so, bring meaning to her death?

Now maybe I'm just ignorant. Maybe I'm just a stubborn stupid blockhead who is so obsessed with the unfairness of Shirley's death that I can't open my eyes to truth. And maybe I'm just so freakin' mad at those ice-cold-blooded SOBs Okouchi and Taniguchi, whom I would love to have 10 minutes alone with a crowbar and a blowtorch, to the extent that I just can't see any justification for what they did. Even so, I would love it if someone could shed some light on the situation for me.

Much obliged.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote