View Single Post
Old 2012-12-15, 20:10   Link #132
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random32 View Post
You're forgetting Dekomori. Until Yuuta, her best friend.
I'm not forgetting her. However, do we know precisely how much Dekomori knew about Rikka's personal background?

Quote:
Was Rikka pretending or delusional?
It honestly doesn't matter from the perspective of the other students. Either way, they thought that Rikka really was feeling physical pain and needed medical attention. So it's not like this "acting out" came across as such.

Quote:
From reading around of what you have said. I think there is some misunderstanding between us all.

So why not a nice table?
Rikka's
Chuunibyou actionsOkay
Chuunibyou delusional realityNot okay
Motivations for delusional realityReally not okay
I think I've been quite clear on all of these.

My answers:

Chuunibyou actionsBeneficial
Chuunibyou delusional realityNot okay, if she truly thinks it's real
Motivations for delusional realityNot okay

Quote:
Even with that distinction made, I don't really think that Dekomori's actions are not realistic.
Her emotional state may be realistic, but what she does with her hair isn't.

Quote:
I think Chuu2's point is that you shouldn't run away from reality. That isn't "escapism is always wrong," it's "escapism shouldn't be used as a coping mechanism."
I honestly think that Chuu2's "point" might be something different than this. It's point may well be that it's fine for people to continue to embrace chuunibyou as a way to bring added happiness and fun into their life.

Quote:
They are all coping mechanisms.
No, not necessarily. Loads of people drink a lot just for fun. Same with heroine use. They may turn into coping mechanisms, or they may just be bad habits that people engage in for fun.

Quote:
As for seriousness, I think that losing grasp of reality completely is nearly as bad as alcoholism.
Good thing Rikka never lost grasp of reality completely then, for reasons I've already stated.

Quote:
Okay wrong word choice on my part. However, Rikka's chuunibyou wasn't just finding something cool, it was a rejecting reality.
My point is that the "rejecting reality" part can be separated from the "I just find this cool" part.

You can dress up as a Starfleet Officer, and playact as one, without seriously thinking that Scotty is about to beam you up.

Quote:
All those are mainstream now.
Which is exactly my point!

The following are now mainstream for adult viewers:

1) A movie about a man who dresses up like a bat to fight against a psychotic serial killing clown.

2) Movies based on a 80s children's cartoon series and popular toy line. Big giant robots in disguise!

3) A movie about superpowered people in colorful costumes fighting against a trickster god. Gamma radiation. Super Soldier Serum. The whole nine yards.

I don't know about you, but that sounds like "Chuuni-style" entertainment to me.

Quote:
Call me back when Kodomo no Jikan sells phenomenally well.
Your shifting goalposts here. That's poor form in a debate.