Thread: CGI Anime
View Single Post
Old 2012-11-10, 05:20   Link #35
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I don't think you've been quite convincing yourself though.
Showing the difference between what you can do with CG with the current technology and hand drawn art doesn't prove it will never improve in the future.

You don't need to show that, I think we all know already that there are noticeable differences at the current state.

To prove that it will be impossible you should rather show me why it is mathematical impossibility for a computer to emulate that kind of human error. You may know art, but this is a question that only a mathematician or a computer expert can really answer.

At the end of the day the discussion is just the usual "A machine will never be able to emulate human behavior" VS "human like machines in the future will exist".
I suppose you're right. I guess I was trying to make the "traditional" VS "modern" argument, realistically speaking. You say it's a matter of a mathematician or a computer expert to solve, but I don't think even they could solve this. It's really down to getting down and doing it, and then it's easier to understand why animators to this day are still on pencil/paper rather than pure CGI, and will continue to do so.

There are just some things a computer cannot emulate in this matter, and if it ever did, it would have so many advancements that it would be crazy. Picture for example, the weight a pencil falls on the paper. As you draw, you cannot hold a perfect weight against the pencil as you draw a circle. Somewhere along the way, it will darken, or it'll grow lighter in any way. This is why artists draw several light lines as a sketching process. Now picture an algorithm on the computer that gives a certain weight to the pencil. What algorithm can you come up with that reacts as your hand does against the digital pen? Do you use a constant variable that adds +1 weight to it at certain intervals? What if the drawing differs? What if you wanted to do a drawing that has no limits, like a Van Gogh painting? See, computers have variables (or else it wouldn't be a computer), and humans are past that. That's why the computers don't own us, and that's why so many jobs are still done by hand today instead of by machine (which some have done).

Bottom line, until the day that we humans are on the same level as computers, there will be differences. Once that day hits, we'll have a hell of lot more to worry about than simple artistic comparisons. Run, the computers are taking over.

P.S. I'd still like a hypothesis on how it will come about that computers can fully emulate it to a T. I've kinda just been rambling and would like to hear why something like that may happen.