View Single Post
Old 2012-08-19, 00:39   Link #101
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I think this episode continues on a few themes that have been developing over the course of these last few episodes.

First, we see the continuation of the theme of "living within the game". I think that understanding Lisbeth's feelings sort of depends on you figuring out the sort of life she is living in the game, manning a lonely shop. She sees people all the time, and has some friends like Asuna, but at the end of the day she's all alone. That's fine when you think you're just biding time and have to wait for people to clear the game... but as time wore on, you can imagine that this idea of "living within the game" becomes more important. So then in comes Kirito and takes her on an adventure where he risks his own life to save her (despite the fact that she went against his instructions). So I think it was natural for her to come to the "ah, this is what I've been missing" realization. Did she really love him? Well, in the circumstance, I can see why she might have thought so. But the key thing is that having real bonds with people is what gives the strength to move on (that's the thing that's "real" in this fake world), and that ties in perfectly with Kirito and his solo-playing ways.

I think it was also interesting the way they developed Kirito here. When he saved Lisbeth, it wasn't because he's really so altruistic that he's willing to save any damsel in distress. Rather, he's scared of seeing someone else die, particularly at his hands. This ties back very well to the earlier development of his character. The way this transitioned into what's presumably coming next was quite well done, and it brings some closure to this "chapter" of the story (these first seven episodes). He now has a reason to fight because he has people he wants to save. He was always a good player, and generally a good guy, but now he has what it takes it be a Hero. Now it's time to save the world...

Edit: That aside, I just want to say that one little touch that was really perfect was right after Lisbeth's confession was interrupted, and she finds out that there's something between Asuna and Kirito. What tipped her off was really simple: one glance. The whole "squabble" that followed reaffirmed it, but that one glance said it all. Nice touch.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-08-19 at 01:13.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote