Thread: Crunchyroll Saki
View Single Post
Old 2009-09-18, 13:09   Link #2463
The Eternal Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, this kind of theme of having the 4 classic virtues (temperance, prudence, fortitude and justice) or some variation of the theme battling each other is not new at all. It is quite the recurrent literary resource actually.... though the trope has evolved quite some from its humble origins I guess.
Wow, I never thought much about the 4 classic virtues in relation to Harry Potter or even Saki. It's time for me to take a thorough look at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Because they're both the main characters and the "good guys." Funny how that works out.

This list is really oddly accurate.
To be honest, I thought someone else would have come up with that a long time ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
I think what it really goes back to is the "four humours" of Ancient Greece circa 5th BC, and the importance of keeping them in balance within the body. If you want to read something interesting for awhile, it's explained here: http://www.passionsandtempers.com/v1...l=en&p=humours

(And this is one of the reasons I always tell people, "Even though Avatar: the Last Airbender seems superficially based on Eastern culture, it's true core is Western culture through and through.)
I'm going to take a look at that interesting article you have just provided a link to.
The Eternal Hijacker is offline   Reply With Quote