View Single Post
Old 2004-07-13, 13:53   Link #33
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

I don't think you can go as far as to say that Naruto is inspired by Hunter_x_Hunter. The entire genre builds upon itself just like anything else- true originality is near impossible. I mean, was Hunter the first action anime to have forest scenes ala Naruto? No, definitely not.

You will find people who prefer Naruto and people who prefer hunter. I belong to the former group, because I believe that Naruto, in the stylistic sense, achieves a great deal of originality. The entire world that the anime creates seems to have its own distinct flavor- I can't quite put my finger on how to otherwise explain it. In addition, characters in Naruto have a greater amount of depth than characters in other shounen series such as Hunter- partly because of the flashback scenes that some people whine about. To me, no episode of Naruto can be boring because I care so much about each of the characters.

One thing I don't understand is why many people- even admitted Naruto fans- don't like the main character. I think that the main character is very admirable- he works hard and strives towards a dream, constantly gives viewers a reason to laugh, and portrays the theme of free will over causality

Spoiler:

I could see people complaining about him if he was flat- if all we saw was his baka side, but we are frequently given very sincere looks into his psyche. He has become, in my opinion, a very well developed and likable character.

OK, end of Narutard rant