View Single Post
Old 2011-06-10, 09:54   Link #237
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

...And the reason why the AN94 is not so widespread is because the internal mechanisms are too complicated and too high maintenance to be issued to regular troops instead of just the Special Forces. Yes, the double-round system allows for very high rates of fire and the avant-garde flash hider does reduce muzzle rise, but the big counterweight is that the AN94 is not as easy to dismantle/put back together and service as, say, the M4/M16. Which is why the Russian Army prefers the AK74/AK100 series - they're less trouble for the "normal" soldiers.

And only an idiot, a complete ignoramus or a lazyass wouldn't maintain his weapon in proper state, regardless of its intrinsic ruggedness/rusticity. US troops in combat have repeatedly confirmed that the M16/M4, when properly - and regularly - serviced, doesn't jam much and can actually be quite reliable (it certainly allows more precise shots than the AK47 thanks to a flatter bullet trajectory). One reporter in particular (I must've cited/linked him in one of my previous posts in this thread) even stated that troops who frequently have to play bunny hop with and crawl through the Afghan irrigation ditches don't encounter catastrophic amounts of trouble when they get their weapons dirty...contrarily to what all those self-appointed gun pundits claim.

However, if you're recklessly clogging the barrel, the mag well or the ejection port with mud, talcum-like sand or hard soil with the preconception that you can abuse your weapon as much as you want without feeling sorry for it afterwards, then don't be surprised if something goes wrong once you pull the trigger. AR15 model or not, you're just asking for it.

Last edited by Renegade334; 2011-06-15 at 17:41.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote