Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-12-30, 04:20   Link #1363
wontaek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Ever have one of those anime that you really want to talk about, but no one is talking all that much? Yeah, this seems to be that anime. The one that is selling fairly well, but almost no one is talking about. At least in the English speaking world. Even the Facebook pages don't harbor much for conversation. Just not enough people talking.

I've seen very few blogger reviewing the show. One basically did the first episode, called it old and stopped. Another is catching up slowly, but there is hardly anything else. Probably because it is BD only at the moment (aside from those versions one could find online if one knew were to look). The show isn't on TV, nor Crunchroll or any of those services. At least one blogger was going to wait until it was on TV, but that probably won't be until 2014. I wonder if it be considered "old news" by then, or if the bloggers that don't keep up with the BD will find it new and exciting.
Too many people, especially those who are young in the western world, are prone to dismiss anything more than 20 year old as something unworthy of their attention. I just hope that Yamato 2199 franchise has generated sufficient revenues despite the inattention from young western anime fans, to continue production in high quality. If it did, Yamato 2199 will eventually secure its rightful place in history as a notable remake of series of anime history importance.

As for convincing the young ones to watch this series, I might have as good a success as convincing them to read Charles Dickens's Great Expectations . Very likely, many will hear of this series too late for them to let go of their entrenched prejudice. Still, if remaining Yamato 2199 episodes are of high quality in many ways, eventually majority of people, who experienced anime works produced between 2011 to 2013, will recognize it as a great piece of work. Hopefully, long time later, Yamato 2199 will enjoy fame and good reputation in the lore of anime history that would be comparable to the one "Great Expectations" have in the history of English Literature.