View Single Post
Old 2011-12-02, 05:49   Link #1
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

What's your thoughts on critical analysis of anime?

Hey guys, I'm looking to get an outside perspective on some things I've been considering for a while.

What do you believe should be the purpose of critical analysis on an anime series or movie? Do you think it should be an objective reckoning on the pros and cons of any story in the animated format? Or conversely, do you think there should be no pretense that it is merely an opinion from subjective points of view?

What should such critical analysis focus on? Is it imperative that it be thorough, picking over the details of what makes a story tick (or otherwise) with a fine comb? Or is readability the most important thing, and as such should be short and sweet instead of tl;dr accordingly?

Finally, an unavoidable aspect of critical analysis of any anime series or movie, are the inevitable counters from said series' or movie's fans or detractors. What do you believe is the appropriate way to handle such criticism? Do you get into a discussion with them, as there may be something to learn from it? Is the defense of your viewpoint most important to you, and thus your course of action? Or do you think there's no point trying to convince those who will not be convinced, and thus you are above trying to argue with them?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote