View Single Post
Old 2012-08-29, 19:57   Link #417
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
With SAO there is no such "uncertainly", everyone knows why and how they got there; Kayaba tricked and trapped them, that is a fact.
There is a fair bit of uncertainty as to what happens when you die though. But it's certainly not the same thing as origin myths. There's also a very large amount of uncertainty about what happens when they clear the 100th floor. Assuming they have enough Clearers to make it there.

Quote:
The players of SAO know exactly what it is, a death game they can't leave through normal means. But they also know that this is not their reality and that Kayaba is certainly no God. Which is why there are Clearers such as Kirito who is determine to fight the system by clearing Aincrad or others who have committed suicide to escape.
Prior to the Liz episode Kirito never once talked about escaping. I think that's an important fact to consider. There are certainly Clearers who are fighting their hardest to escape (Asuna, for one)... but there are likely also MMO addicts who are at least moderately happy with SAO.

That doesn't necessarily mean Kirito's life prior to being captured in SAO was terrible, or that he is a wreck who was only saved by escaping / being held hostage in SAO... but it means there are likely some people for whom it isn't hell.

Quote:
I can concede to that, but it's still prison and that puts quite a damper on things. So far we have mostly dealt with the negatives of being trapped in SAO and not a whole lot of positives specific to the game.
I know I keep bringing this up... but our character's who are trapped inside the world are growing familiar with it, and finding things to enjoy inside the world. I think they're finding the 'whole lot of positives' you seem to be missing.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote