View Single Post
Old 2007-09-10, 19:21   Link #41
chaos4ever
Retired
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unearthly View Post
I have one question that I've never been able to figure out.

Just where do Typesetters get all of their fonts? Are there large font packs out there that you can download? Or did you just hunt around for a bunch of different styled fonts until you were satisfied with your repertoire?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanejin View Post
Adobe makes very good fonts and releases them in huge packages that are for purchase. Quality free fonts can be found on dafont.
I know it's a bit late for a reply on this, but I still wanted to throw in my two cents.

My personal experience with most free fonts is that they are too flashy, too generic, or too typical, and they don't have much subtlety or character (no pun intended), and it took forever to find a font that fit on those type of sites (if I could find one).

Unearthly, yes, there are a lot of font packs out there. One I downloaded to use during my short typesetting stint (before real life took over) had 50k fonts (800mb rared, 2.47gb unrared). Unfortunately, most of the fonts in the packs were pretty much useless (unreadable, too big, inappropriate style), so it took a a few hours to find a font that fit. A font browsing tool was incredibly useful for looking, though. Especially on a high-res desktop.

When you become more and more familiar with fonts, selecting them will be much faster since you'll know the fonts by name. But by then, you'd probably be in typeset styling 629 or something.

As for font editing, it's for the incredibly hardcore, like pichu over there. I personally grabbed whatever looked good and ran with it.

Last edited by chaos4ever; 2007-09-11 at 02:22. Reason: double-checked the 50k font folder... and i was wrong ._.
chaos4ever is offline   Reply With Quote