View Single Post
Old 2012-08-24, 07:23   Link #30150
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka0NK View Post
Yeah Natsuhi hated the child because it was just an insult to her. She just wanted to be useful yet she was unable to have a child and saw it has an insult to her pride.
Actually on that have people noticed that the 7 adults each represent the 7 sins
Krauss = Sloth
Natsuhi = Pride
Eva = Greed
Hideyoshi = Gluttony
Rudolf = Lust
Kyrie = Envy
Rosa = Wrath
This was one of the things that have been discussed a lot in the past and more or less that's how I've seen it at the beginning as the most sensible pairing between sins and the adults. However if you go by the actual parings of the demons and the adults that recurrently happen in the story and other hints left by Ryuukishi including TIPS, the list becomes a little different:

Krauss = Pride
Natsuhi = Wrath
Eva = Greed
Hideyoshi = Gluttony
Rudolf = Sloth
Kyrie = Envy
Rosa = Lust

I guess this proves that in the end you can see it in multiple ways. The problem is that each person commits several sins, and the opinion about what's the most propinent sin of each person or who better represents a certain sin may vary.
Also the concept of sloth is a bit ambiguous and I think Ryuukishi interpreted it in his own particular way. Rudolf has been described as a workaholic, so one would tend to think he's definitely not a sloth, but his ties with Belphegor in the stories and TIPS are as much as strong as the ties between Kyrie and Leviathan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
I presume you mean another real person and not a magical homonculus created by Featherine and made to believe he's living with a woman named Ikuko and "recovering" memories of an incident that never happened involving people who never existed in a place that never was. Because that was totally my idea.

But it's certainly worth asking: How does he know he's Battler, exactly? How does he know there was a Battler? I realize that from a narrative standpoint most people would say there was one simply because otherwise who were we talking about to begin with. That's probably the truth. But looking at it strictly from his perspective, can he even know that? Probably not. After all, Touya could doubt every one of his "memories" as being something that was planted there based on what he thinks he knows of "Ushiromiya Battler." There's no way to distinguish between "memories returning" and "falsely remembering based on later information," ultimately.

He really can't ever be sure of who he was, perhaps absent some physical evidence (such as old photographs) that we aren't sure he's ever actually seen. It's not like Ange would be able to physically recognize him with certainty years and years later.
The idea that Tohya might not be the real Battler is an interesting theory to entertain oneself, but it isn't much supported by the narration.
I guess that it works better if you also think that Ikuko is Yasu, because else you'd need to explain how come Itoikukuroreigonamu (or however it's spelled) could know so many things about the Mansion and the family, which is heavily implied to be something that an outsider couldn't know.
Well I guess you could always theorize that Ikuko retraced all the many fukuin servants that worked there and obtained all those info, but it's a bit a far fetched.

You'd also need to imagine that Tohya was chosen for looking like the late Battler, because Ange recognizes him. You can explain that she overlooked the differences because of the age, and maybe wishful thinking, but there should be a limit to that. He can't be that different.

The hardest part to explain is how he was made to "remember" all those things. For example at the very end of EP8 he recognizes that the hall of the orphanage looks exactly like the one in the Rokkenjima Mansion before anyone says anything. You need to pull some kind of bogus hypnotsim hocus pocus, which is yet another overused plot device like amnesia.

From his perspective. The fact that he recognizes that hall should be an almost certain proof to himself, if he ever had a doubt.
To question even that, would mean descending into pure paranoia.

Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2012-08-24 at 07:43.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote