View Single Post
Old 2006-11-15, 14:46   Link #125
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I found this info after I wiki-ed it

Actually Traditional Japanese New Year coincides with the Chinese New Year (solar calendar). From 1873 during Meiji restoration Gregorian calendar (lunar) came into practice and became a standard Calendar . January 1st became the official New Year since 1873.

The reason I asked you this is it is impossible for Lunar and Solar calendar system to be in conjunction

Japanese New Year

Edit: The reason I brought Shinto into the picture is , Shinto though the oldest religion in Japan, has strong influences of Buddhism . Buddhism follows the Solar Calendar which does not necessarily last 365/366 days. It takes the earth revolution around the sun as a measure rather than taking Lunar Cycles.

As you stated it followed on first of January has to do more with Meiji restoration which enforced Shinto as a principle religion as the Emperor could be elevated to the status of a demi God / descendant of the sun. Meiji restoration was responsible for unification of Japan . Also centralizing power to the Emperor as opposed to decentralized Shogun system of governance in practice .

During that period Japan became industrialized and westernized hence Gregorian calendar came into practice

EDIT : Yeah You are correct I interchanged the calenders in question . What I was looking for is Sidereal Calender . As I said the two resp calenders are never in conjuction hence the query arised

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2006-11-15 at 16:10.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote