View Single Post
Old 2011-08-08, 20:00   Link #388
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
What players want from a MMO: a persistent world that feels alive, where your actions have consequences and make a difference in the world and your experience in it. The sky's the limit, and not a limited sandbox with virtual boundaries of cans and cant's.

What we have in MMO's now: a glorified numbers based progression system with superficial events/choices that don't really affect the world at all. Your "hero" is just as heroic as all the other players, which would be fine if it didn't feel so homogenous and "mathy" all the time.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head with this. I'd be lining up with my pocketbook wide open if someone released an online RPG that played exactly like Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Give me a big, wide-open sandbox where I can do anything, kill anything, blow anything up. I don't want to be a "hero," I just want to be another wanderer or adventurer in the grand scheme of things.

MMORPGs really need to take some cues from tabletop role-playing games. Most of those old-school AD&D games, our characters weren't epic Lord of the Rings-style heroes. We were just adventurers, mercenaries, people living in a vast world that was much larger than ourselves, trying to scrape by and make our fortunes. Kind of like how you feel throughout the first half of both FO3 and FONV--you're nothing amazing yet, just another wastelander, struggling to get through the next challenge.