View Single Post
Old 2012-12-26, 12:19   Link #182
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ero-Senn1n View Post
That's one example of Kishimoto going to the extremes with a character so much that's it's quite unrealistic. I mean one cannot be dumb and smart at the same time as much as Naruto. It can be true to a lesser extent, there are people who are not great thinkers in general but in extreme situations with very limited time to think they can be surprisingly smart. They are quick thinkers and they are the rare who can do better under high level of stress. So we know what was Kishimoto's general idea with Naruto, and that idea worked well when used by other authors, but Kishimoto just amplifies these traits of Naruto so much that sometimes it feels like more like a caricature of himself. It's hard to believe that someone who at one moment is checking for animal penises the next moment is the great savior For example when Naruto finds out in a matter of minutes how the 3rd raikage got his scar, while thousands of elite ninja who knew all circumstances couldn't find it out for decades, that's much more unrealistic here than lets say Naruto coming up with his winning strategy against Kakuzu because that requires analytical thinking instead of having a great idea. I mean there are guys that are similar: Goku and Luffy, but in case of Naruto sometimes it feels that the author went too far. Also because ninja battles are also intellectual battles, these are not so simple as in case of DBZ or One Piece, so having a dumb guy suddenly outsmarting is less realistic than in simple battles that happen in other manga. But i don't want to complain about that one thing, since this is true in many other cases in this manga, it's just how it is, and in the end of the day i don't care if the overall story is entertaining. Also in the current battle we see how there are smart people who help Naruto out (Kakashi, Shikaku, Itachi, ...) and as usual he is quite lucky, so i have nothing to complain about this battle.

The inconsistency of his mental performances is similar to that of his speed. When the raikage comes at him with intent to kill he can dodge that, when not even Sasuke's sharingan could follow the movements of the raikage in that state. But in the next battle he cannot dodge Tobi's attacks and he can't hit Tobi, while it was never said that Tobi had any kind of super-speed. If Naruto used that speed against Tobi then Tobi could not even see him coming, and same goes for anyone else other than the raikage.
First of all, that's a much better rebuttal than "lol all he does is kage bunshin herp a derp".

I haven't actually thought much about the 'inconsistencies'. I would like to point out that it's not unheard off to be awesome at one thing and terribad at another. He lacks a lot of common sense in common situations, but he's good at improvising under pressure. Maybe you don't agree, but it's not THAT unusual.

I have no retort for the fact that Kishi is very whimsical as to how effective Naruto's super speed is.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote