View Single Post
Old 2008-01-19, 09:17   Link #97
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
The situation is kind of different today, because sony changed their marketing strategy. Unlike PS and PS2, both PS3 and the PSP are pushed heavily as media devices. It is not a big deal, but with slow software sales, i'm talking about the PSP, except for mhp2, people and devs do get the idea that the psp is mainly used not as a gaming device, or that piracy is widely spread.
I'll admit it's a bit different from before, but it's only because of the media used. PS3 used the PS3 to help push the Bluray disc in the format war and the PSP has UMD movies. But I wouldn't say that they're pushing the PSP heavily as a media device. I remember before the PSP even came out, there was an interview with a director from Sony about what the PSP actually was, and he actually did say a multi-media device, but he also stated that the PSP's main focus was on games. If I have the time to look for my old magazines I'll confirm it.

And you can't blame poor software sales on the PSP being a media device. You can blame poorly made and/or half-assed games for that. It's devs fault for not creating a proper game and just using the same old stuff they used on the PS2 and PSone to create a new game. And I would say piracy has alot to do with though, since alot of programs for 1.5 or custom firmwares allow for games to be run off of a memory card, nobody is going to want to buy games anymore. Especially since this is alot easier to do than say modding a PS2 or even using something like swap magic. Burning discs isn't even an issue with the PSP.

But I think the poor software sales are mostly due to the PSP not having a game that really pushes the PSP up there. Something like what Final Fantasy VII was for the original Playstation is all the PSP needs to get a boost for more consumers, more devs, and ultimately to more... everything. I think this is what Sony has been waiting for, and so far all the PSPs been doing is laying stagnant; not doing bad, but not doing anything magnificent either. Hopefully it'll catch a break soon, since more devs and money menas more quality games for me. =P