View Single Post
Old 2011-05-03, 02:55   Link #1148
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Hmmm... Maybe I didn't read enough story, but when I read it back then, I feel the character's background is too independent for an overarching plot(a rogue nun, an anti-vampire, alchemist, and angel? Not to mention the russion nun) and somehow thought that those character wouldn't appear again in the main story, their appearance is just one time thing. Of course, I've been proved very wrong although one of them(2 actually) did indeed never get integrated into the main overarching plot(the alchemist and anti-vampire, oh and that bow user in one of the vol 5 story). Heck, when I read vol 5, it wouldn't crossed my mind that the antagonist in the 2nd story there would seamlessly get integrated into the story that well. I thought he would be gone and never be told again after the story is over. The author is just that good in sewing all those independent earlier arcs into the main plot.

It's still too early for big twist, and the IS academy doesn't do research at all. That's the setting from the start, because the IS academy is set up like a high-school in normal world instead of college where you can do research there. All the students do there is train their skill, not upgrading their IS. All the research is done by the home country of each representative candidate and you only collect data from all the activity inside IS academy, so IS academy is something like a test field instead of research base. For dark research, considering that unless you're Tabane, you would need a full military base to do research on IS, I doubt any of the teacher inside can do that without getting found out by the headmaster, who seems to have no interest in researching IS.

I agree about the story is like the story of some random bloke's daily life, and about the lack of effort in tracking the bad guy although it's been implied here and there that Phantom Task is being tracked after vol 5's incident, but there's no way Ichika can be sent for some action outside the IS academy, considering the rights for his IS citizenship is still being debated(stated in vol 6). Unless a country specifically request for it, I doubt IS academy would sent him into action outside the school since they do still want to keep their independence, not to mention he doesn't have the skill yet to be sent on a serious mission unless it's extremely urgent like in vol 3. Once words got out he got sent for action outside the academy's jurisdiction, the academy will lose its status as a mere school and academy and get treated as a small political district like a certain academy city. We're not talking about some peace-keeping organization when talking about IS academy here, just a normal academy that deals with IS training and happened to be independent.
Actually, IS Academy is a research facility where scientists test their latest toy, so there are potentially abuses. For example, Laura's IS had the Valkyrie system installed, but the author decided not to go into depth investigating the issue. Anyway, what do you mean by IS citizenship? Do you mean the representative candidacy? And about exploiting Ichika's status as a man, I doubt that he needs IS academy permission to undergo black ops operations. He'd be just like Kamijou Touma, doing all sorts of work without actually officially siding with anyone. I would also like to see more organisations in the future. Phantom Corps is involved in some world conspiracy, but so far that's only just one organisation. I really found it disbelieving that organisations don't secretly deploy their IS in black-ops operation. Ichika still does not have an organisation that endorses him, so it would be brilliant if there's an organisation ,that opposes the phantom corps, that supports him. From what I can see, I doubt that the Japanese Government will never support him apart from giving a personalised IS--they were probably coerced by Tabane to do it in the first place. In addition, the author rarely expands on the lore of the world of IS, which is supposed to be mandatory, given this is a sci-fi.There's a great degree of world-wide politics in the world of IS,but he has added relatively few information regarding the way how the world revolves, something that is an enormous contrast to Toaru majutsu no Index. When there are multiple countries involved, you genuinely believe that there's probably going to be all sorts of plots against other countries, bickerings, threats of war, conspiracies. None of that however, ever materialised--I just think that this is the largest let down. No country seemed to want to abduct Ichika and make them their lab rat. If vol. eight does not change for the better, IS is out of my attention. For now, the pattern of this story is always harem bickering, then a random fight at the start of a tournament. They have never even bothered explaining why they consistently attacked Ichika and his harem. It's just so pointless. What could they possibly achieve by attacking a group of students?Furthermore, should security be increased dramatically since the Academy is always attacked? There are just so many plot holes in this series.There just aren't any unusual situations in the light novels.In the past, I have always defended the series, but now, I can no longer tolerance this, I'm at my limits.

Last edited by Avrorrange; 2011-05-03 at 03:34.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote