Old 2011-08-24, 02:58   Link #23901
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
<_< I said magical murders.
Misread, my apologies.

Quote:
It's even more obvious that it isn't in the narrative if you consider how Erika is probably supposed to be the arm of the readership who crave for a cruel and logical answer (represented in spirit by Bern). She never even notices the bloody thing happening...she is wondering who might have killed the people in those rooms and if they ever died at all, so she just beheads them all...and later she searches for some stupid excuses like George being Kanon when we (the readers) actually just saw Shannon, Kanon and Beatrice merging to the narration of Zepar and Furfur how they are parts of one soul who must become one to fullfil their true love...
In fairness to Erika, she's also a character in the story. Her perspective as a player isn't 1:1 to any hypothetical readers, and she has displayed a willingness to skip over scenes anyway.

Quote:
I mean come on...if that was in the narrative and the readers in the Umineko universe didn't get it they'd have to be pretty darn dumb.
The populace in Umineko are EXTREMELY stupid. This has been something we've known since atleast EP4.

Quote:
No, actually it makes a lot more reliable, because you can actually say that everything presented to us as a magic scene is just a magical explanation of what is actually happening. Of course it could just be terrible bullshit and actually the scenes happened totally different than what we saw...but why the hell would a writer do that?! It's as if the things the little boy saw at the hotel in Shining wasn't actually developing the places past but was in fact just him having played too many violent videogames...
It makes things LESS reliable because it means we can't even trust that the text infront of our faces is stuff that was actually written down. It makes Ryukishi's work pretty much unsolvable because we can't discern what we should even bother reading until we reach the end of the story.

Quote:
Let's take an example I made up. Jessica is found dead in a room...and as an explanation I'll give you that Virgilia showed up in front of Jessica after Gaap had warped her into the room andforced her to choose whom of her parents should die. They are watching Krauss and Natsuhi through a magic mirror, because of course nobody with a master key was among them so they couldn't see what was happening in the room just opposite of the one their in, unless the doors were open. At the end, of course, Natsuhi is found dead in the other room.
There is a terribly easy explanation to this when you know the solutions and the magic version actually helps...you just have to use it correctly.
The problem with that is that the Magic scenes usually have symbolic hints and clues to what actually happened, and thus they do have value and purpose...but if they don't exist in the Forgeries, why are we reading them? What force is putting them there? Is Toya just making shit up in his head and not writing it down for some reason? Why would he do that? What's the fucking point?