Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-12-22, 07:42   Link #18584
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctis Lucis View Post
Exactly my point. The UK has bigger problems now, and will always have. Today the Eurozone, tomorrow the Falklands. Can't count on them.
Not so, during WW2 it's military resources were stretched to their limit. They were forced to choose between Singapore and Britain, and of course in that case Britain won. They still had 80,000 troops and considerable artillery guns stationed in Singapore. It wasn't called the "Gibraltar of the East" for nothing. Now obviously britain doesn't own singapore anymore, so it would have much less motive to defend it, but in any possible conflict with it's neighbours Britain would not have to deal with problems on their homefront, so could respond with their full power. Would this be enough? I don't know. The Britain of today is not the Britain of the 1930s. Still, Britain could send it's entire fleet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
For those of you who actually know about the Eurozone crisis, can anyone tell me how accurate this article is?:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16290598
Can't really say, but the BBC is generally reliable. It's not an academic article of course.