Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Gakkou Gurashi
View Single Post
Old 2016-10-23, 22:51   Link #968
gdpetti

Same here, just watched it this past week, IMO very well crafted. It does make you want to read the manga, which I rarely want to do. I agree that the project is very clever in the production of this anime, which shows how good the manga must be, and after reading this forum thread, I agree with silvercover's comment that
Quote:
"the anime was just a medium for the author to mess around and do other things he wasn't able to do in the manga."
... "notice how prominent the dog and megu-nee is. I mean, I like megu-nee sure and its nice to see more of her, but they realllllyyy want to hammer it to the viewers that "megu-nee was such an awesome and best teacher" just like how taromaru is "the smartest and best dog".
Silvercover has a good point here as this is a common point throughout the anime, but I haven't read the manga yet, so can't compare... overall, I'm not into most moe stuff, though I like most SoL's... and not into zombie stuff for the most part as the entire concept makes no sense in our real world... outside of a few drug addicts that go waaaay over the deep end as a few news stories attest to in the past couple of years... that is zombiesh alright. All of this has to be ignored as usual, so no problem if the story is good, and the combination of these SoL/zombie storylines is done very well.... the attention to detail in the OP/EP that some here have mentioned is interesting, though I only noticed the EP changes sometimes, especially after Megu-nee is gone and she fades out in the EP, same with Kei's character... and though interesting, perhaps it is overkill and gets in the way as another poster said?

... but the dog! Me no likey at all... anime only? makes sense as someone else here said that this looks to be made for the typical anime shonen audience, not a seinen one... so taking the R rated version down to a PG... and add in extra fan service that usually puts the storyline in most animes on hold anyway... How the production team can be so good at the rest of the elements yet fail to come up with a way to do a little fan service more discreetly is hard to understand... all you have to do is not draw attention to it... and that is my problem with the dog... they draw way too much attention to it all the time... and it rarely acts like it's in a nonfriendly environment, something the animals would be reacting to way faster and better than humans would... like others here have said - making it a hero by the end is too much... but I actually liked the ending with the dog... nice scene... cute and perhaps a little doggie moe to send him off with? The dog scenes just got in the way in my opinion, the washing, running off...

Someone here mentioned WTH didn't they shut the doors? Did they feel that secure? Not sure how the manga handled it, but that is a lapse in judgement... usually such tricks are done as a means to push the story along, a sign of writer fatigue or weakness.

Triple R had 4 points but I haven't yet read the manga... but I agree with #1 on the dog... #2 not sure, as doing so worked for me, gave the series an even more disjointed feeling to it, as if they were losing track of time... a feeling expressed later by Kei and near the end by Miki herself in deciding to leave the room in the mall and at the end in school to go to the basement, sooner or later you'll be forced to for food/water or for your sanity.... #3 I would have loved to have seen in the anime, as I was thinking of something like that while watching it, never thinking that there was such a scene in the manga source material... .#4??? Helicopter arc? again, haven't read the manga, don't know what you mean/imply by 'helicopter'... patrol craft looking for survivors?

BUT I was very impressed by this project from the end of the first episode with that closing hook... as it looked like a typical SoL school life girl friend thing... yes, there were a few odd things in the background, but I thought that was a problem with the budget... so didn't think of it until the end... and then you start paying attention in later episodes... great hook though and the smashup of the genres worked well... made it interesting... yes, these anime must have scenes like the pool episode and shopping at the mall for binikis which seemed a weeeee bit out of place given the situation, and sometimes went on too long as they always do, but the production team always brought it back by the end, even if barely in an episode or two... so a few complaints, but they really made this juxtaposition of happy/sad moments and genres effective and easy to recommend, I really liked it.... probably enough to read the manga, which seems to have continued since this anime was made, so perhaps another 12 seasons can be made once enough chapters/volumns are put out? I know on the Wikipedia page that other students and schools are mentioned -- those other ones mentioned in the manual? -- so I would assume the story to continue from there.

Really liked it though I never gave it a thought after seeing the first writeup summary and photo used in the press release... seemed just more of the same kiddie crap... came across it looking up dystopian/post-apocalyptic anime.... good find. Now I'll be interested in reading the manga to see what the production team was working from... though I wonder if Silvercover is right about the writer choosing to mess around some with it? Usually it's not the original writer/mangaka doing that though... which is interesting as well.
gdpetti is offline   Reply With Quote