View Single Post
Old 2011-11-18, 19:53   Link #11
relentlessflame

*Administrator

The show will indeed be 12 episodes, which was confirmed by the Blu-Ray solicitations. Of course that doesn't preclude OVAs or future seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjichan View Post
Speaking of 12 episodes. Am I correct if I say that they make a manga into an anime ( usually 12 episodes only) to use it as a promotional, I mean, advertisement to make it more sales in the manga version.
Well, they typically call this sort of project "media mix". They use the anime to drum up attention for the entire franchise and support it with releases across as many different kinds of media possible: novels, manga, music CDs, DVDs/Blu-Rays, figures, console games, and so on. The companies that fund the anime are the very same as the ones selling these various goods. A show like this is likely to get decent sales across all the various media, but some other shows are more weighted to one form of a media or another. But it's certainly true that just because an anime doesn't sell well on DVD/Blu-Ray doesn't mean it's a failure -- they have to consider the franchise on the whole as part of the Return On Investment calculation. Some shows do indeed result primarily in an increase in novel or manga sales (or increased circulation for the magazines that run it), and that's certainly good for the producers as well. A show getting selected for an anime can be seen as a way of separating the wheat from the chaff, so it helps people choose what franchises to pay attention to in an otherwise crowded market.