View Single Post
Old 2012-07-24, 15:23   Link #29812
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuka0NK View Post
I do feel that if Ryukishi reveals the truth the fanbase will get into a frenzy over the truth and how stupid it is and un thought out and how Ryukishi sucks or some other stupid crap. Or at least the Youtube Fanbase will.
So? I doubt anyone's gonna hurt him or leave flaming poop bags on his doorstep or anything. I don't see how he could make his fans more frustrated than some of them are, and the rest aren't frustrated at all. So the ones that were fine with ep8 aren't going to riot over learning more, and the ones who were annoyed will either be satisfied or still be ticked off. It can only potentially benefit him, really. After all, what if it's a really clever answer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
I don't think it's abused in Higurashi though. Weird coincidences are like a trope the horror genre uses to invoke the fear of the unknown. If you knew what happened, and it made sense it wouldn't be creepy. Like in real life weird coincidences sometimes happen too that are creepy like that.
The thing is, eerie coincidences are only proper in horror when there could be another explanation, but we don't know what it is: Insanity? Supernatural monsters? Sufficiently advanced technology? Someone playing a prank on the hero? A cat rummaging through garbage making the same sounds the monster made earlier, while the real monster slinks up silently behind?

It's important there actually be a solution other than pure coincidence, even if those alternatives don't make sense. If there's only two explanations, that is, "things work exactly the way the character believes they do" or "everything was just chance," it doesn't work.

So in the example given, it'd have to be something like "either I can cause deaths by predicting them, or a creepy serial killer is intentionally making my predictions come true, or I'm blacking out and killing the people in the manner I predicted in order to make them come true, or... etc. etc. etc." The point being, and this is key, that it's horror and we know that no coincidence in this genre is truly just a coincidence. Every one is meant to convey some narrative weight.

The only exception is when pure coincidence is played up once or twice, usually in a horror comedy, or to set up a surprise scare where we realize some twist was pure coincidence... only to have another one entirely dropped in our laps. If it's just a binary choice between one particular explanation and random chance, it isn't really all that scary.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote