View Single Post
Old 2012-09-20, 10:59   Link #486
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Maybe it'd work if they announced huge adaptations such as, say... Sangatsu no Lion, or Gin no Saji - but then creating a new timeslot to start afresh might just work better.
Yeah, there is no doubt that any of those would prove to be a massive success ... for that given season anyways, and then it will be up in the air to what will happen with the next programing.

That's really the issue, they could make and bring out as many shows as they want, be them adaptations of huge titles or Originals with A-list staffs, but they can't really guaranty that the same people from the past seasons will still be watching when they bring it out due to how diverse the viewership of the slot is. Sometimes I can't help but think that is noitaminA's greatest strength is also it's worst weakness.

For starting a new time slot, I honestly think that wouldn't work as well at all. Anime no Chikara got the axe only 3 shows in when none of them managed to be a hit, so I would imagine that the pressure for success with a new time slot, where it has no history, brand power or record of past hits, would be far greater than with noitaminA, which even though it's struggling, is a proven quantity and can justify, even to a little extent, putting in enough faith and effort to try different things.

For better or for worse, I think what they are trying to do here and sticking with noitaminA is the best course of action, even if the decisions themselves end up not being correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HosannaExcelsis View Post
I wonder exactly how things degenerated from the clear vision noitaminA seemed to have for a number of years to the flailing about it's done since 2010. I suppose losing touch with what originally made something special is an ever-greater danger the longer something lasts.
If there is one particular reason, it would have to be that the business model the slot was running on wasn't very practical:
Quote:
The income from the TV ads is insufficient to pay the high production cost of anime. Moreover, the economic recession demands a short-term recovery of the investments. "The ratings of Noitamina anime are pretty high, but the drop in the DVD sales was worse than we expected."

[Fuji TV producer Yamamoto Kouji] admitted they are still repeating trial and error for the establishment of the business model.
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=79794

I do think that some of it has to do with the idea that the idea that the slot had been ''contaminated'' by slipping into more typical anime shows (or to be more exact, including elements from popular anime into their shows and programing, since outside of maybe BRS and GC, I think that they had been at least trying to balance things between both components) had made it lose a bit of it's brand power, but from the looks of it they really didn't have much choice in the matter. They needed the money to balance things, otherwise it wouldn't have made much sense or been practical to continue the block any longer if they were running a loss with it. In some ways, the decision for the 1hr increase could be seen as an alternative solution to them going into catering to otaku's, but when that didn't pan out (and in fact made things worse) they ended up having to swallow the bitter pill and try and go down that road further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HosannaExcelsis View Post
Of course, the only reason I'm really concerned about ratings, and sales to a lesser extent, is because I'd like to continue to see the kind of josei/seinen adaptations noitaminA has traditionally supported. Even if this timeslot goes away or gives up on them, hopefully there'll be somewhere else that carries them in the future.
I also want to see the slot survive for that reason as well, but even if it didn't I don't think that there is going to be much worry about seeing josei/seinen adaptations in the future. They will still be made, but the unique thing about noitaminA was that it gave them a place to air on. Even if it goes away, there will still some who will attempt to keep the idea going.

Personally though, I don't think that it's as bleak as it looks. At the moment, the producers look like they are grasping at straws and trying their best to make sure the slot survives, but even then I think that there is a lot more life in noitaminA to see it go away anytime soon.