View Single Post
Old 2011-05-16, 01:57   Link #133
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Indeed, Yukiatsu pretending to like Anaru is quite likely. But, here's another possibility. Yukiatsu and Anaru share the common trait of unrequited love. In the complex love dodecahedron, they are the ones looking from the outside in. Logical Yukiatsu thinks about his options: His crush for life is dead, and Tsuruko seems to be keeping her distance (especially after Yukiatsu's recent revelation as Menma). So there's only one possibility left: Anaru. "Want to go out?" proposes the troubled, lost Yukiatsu. Meanwhile, Anaru is dealing with some peer pressure. With no signs of mutual attraction from Yadomi, Anaru starts falling back into her previous social role to find emotional solace. She hangs out with her "friends" at the karaoke bar, and nearly gets date-raped by some random dude sitting with them.

They both have major issues with their lives, both as a result of unrequited love. If one way love losers can cope with their problems is by comforting each other... then far be it from the viewers to judge Yukiatsu and Anaru. Better Anaru go out with a narcissistic cross-dresser than some guy who goes to sleep early to watch One Piece. (Have you no pride as an otaku?! Use caffeine pills, dood!!!) Their casual relationship could work out great, as Yukiatsu and Anaru don't actually love each other. They just need someone close, by their side...

I will now directly contradict myself by accusing them of escapism. Since Yukiatsu and Anaru can't be with their true loves, they have to settle for each other? What happened to the dream of never giving up hope, the dream of true love always winning out in the end? Maybe Anohana seeks to subvert these wishes and portray them as unrealistic. After all, Menma's death shattered the childhood dreams of the Super Peace Busters. Ouch... they all had a very hard time coming back to reality.

Actually, scratch what I just said above; I don't know what real love is. People getting together - not with those they love the most - but with those who understand them the most... kind of touching, in it's own rational, realistic type of way. Because Anaru and Yukiatsu have their problems rooted deeply in love, they can understand each other and be there to support one another. Hey, works for me.

I'll even speculate! Yukiatsu and Anaru will become a couple by the ending.

Of course, Yukiatsu could be trolling me and sadistically exploiting Anaru for his own self-comfort. In the above case... man, you really do have issues.

This concludes my weekly Anohana post. You may now return to reading things you actually enjoy.