View Single Post
Old 2011-10-21, 19:21   Link #263
LunarMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
-- Cliches aren't bad just because they are cliche
Yes, though generally, works that include a large amount of clichés are inferior to those that don't. That's why most people advise writers to avoid them.

Quote:
-- Comparing the philosophical underpinnings of a series that only aired 3 episodes vs a completed one or just quality overall doesn't seem fair unless you compare first 3 episodes vs 3 episdes. If you were doing that, then sorry.
Yes, which is why I said it had the potential to be an extremely good series, but that I still can't fairly judge it as better than say, Full Metal Alchemist (2003), after 3 episodes. Nonetheless, based on only the first 3 episodes, it's already showing serious potential to surpass the 37 episodes of Brotherhood that I watched.

Quote:
What are exactly these so called philosophical themes?
The first Full Metal Alchemist series had an underlying message similar to that of Kino's Journey. That being, that, "the world isn't beautiful, therefore it is", while juxtaposing it against the more naive view of a just and fair world ruled by Equivalent Exchange. It's not Kant, but that message is still better delivered, and more relevant to the plot, than anything I've seen in Brotherhood as of episode 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
That's impossible, if you dont like brotherhood you'll also hate the manga since its the same thing!
As I said in the original post, I don't dislike it. I just don't think that it's better than the first series or that it's the 2nd best anime ever produced; it's an above average shonen, but it's nothing special. I suppose a common way of putting it is that it's overrated. Also, just because something is based closely upon the original work doesn't necessarily mean that it's better.

Last edited by LunarMoon; 2011-10-21 at 19:51.
LunarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote