Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru Season 2
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-20, 01:34   Link #750
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Taichi got into playing karuta because of Chihaya and Arata. Taichi continued to play karuta after elementary school in middle school. He said this himself in the 4th episode.

He told Chihaya he was no longer interested in that same episode but later on when he talks to Harada Sensei we learn the crux of the reason
"No matter how long I play I will never be as good as Arata".

Initially he joined the team and continued playing only because of his feelings for Chihaya but I don't think Chihaya is the only thing that matters to him about karuta.
Ok, we aren't quite talking about the same thing.
I'm not denying he continued afterwards (or what motivated him to continue playing), but you disagreed that he started to play karuta (only?) because of Chihaya, which I believe he did.
When you consider that Taichi ostracised Arata from the entire classmates he had little reason to associate himself with Arata, other than because Chihaya kept associating herself with him.
Just to note, I'm not holding this against him (starting because of Chihaya), because Chihaya started because of Arata.

Quote:
No you misunderstand this scene. Taichi was perplexed why Chihaya was trying so hard against Arata when Arata was so much better than them. This comes down to what his mother said to only play games you can win.
Not quite sure what you said that's different to what I said, other than you think that Taichi was interested in the game right from the start?

Quote:
So I don't agree that Sumire and Taichi are exactly the same. Sumire had no interest in karuta when she joined. Although to Sumire's credit despite her claims she still has no interest I think it is obvious that she now does beyond Taichi.
Well, that's why I made sure I wrote "similarly" instead of "exactly"
But what I believe is that he originally thought he could play casually (which I maintain is like Sumire, except that he changed his tune really quickly).

To be fair (because it's starting to turn back into a Taichi bashing thread ), none of Chihaya's current happiness could have been possible without Taichi.
In many ways, his "outside" experience (regardless of whether it's true or not) is the reason why the team is functional.
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote