View Single Post
Old 2010-06-27, 13:10   Link #71
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I can't shake the impression that the second of this series never caught fire like the first half did... There were great moments - the best in each of the last two eps involved Simon, surprisingly - but there was too much wasted energy. Too many characters (the cop, Shingen) who were introduced and really added nothing of significance. I know they're more fleshed out in the source material and maybe we'll see more of them if there's a S2. I still enjoyed the series a lot overall - several of the characters were truly great, and there was a majestic sort of arc to the overall plot. I just didn't loves it as much as I would have guessed after about 10 or 12 episodes.
I feel pretty much exactly the same and said as much the other day on my live journal. It's not that I disliked the series and it certainly had its great moments but it never quite lived up to my expectations that were set up in the first half.

For me the best moment of the series was still when we found out Mikado was the founder of the dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
It's because this TV anime is multiple unrelated novel stories mixed together. Because they are fundamentally unrelated, the expected "climax" of all the plot threads coming together in the final episode simply can't happen. As an example, Celty and Shinra sorted out their issues with the head, and became a couple in the novels way before Mikado came to the city.
I have not read the novels but from watching the anime I had the feeling that the way the source material was being adapted might not have been the best method.

Of course my issues with the series are with the anime not the original source material.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2010-06-27 at 13:20.