View Single Post
Old 2012-02-15, 18:23   Link #40
Deathscyther

Wow, finally caught up. I had to rewatch the first 3 seasons first.

It is apparent that the anime changed quite a lot in comparison to the novels. So I guess I'll just stop comparing the two. I'll just read the remaining novels when and if they're translated. The anime is pretty fun on it's own as well.

The beginning of season 4 was pretty good imo. The action scenes were pretty nice and I like Louise and Saito bonding more and more.
There is something I don't like though. It feels like the anime is kind of forcing the others girls to constantly be around Saito and Louise. I don't mind it if there is a reason for them to be there, but it often feels like they're just there for the sake of ruining a moment between Saito and Louise or for fanservice.

This applies espcially for Siesta. She has been pretty annoying lately. It's sad, because I used to like her back in season 1. Didn't she tell herself that she would give up on Saito if he and Louise are in love with each other? She should be able to understand that this is indeed the case. She still refuses to step out though. Especially her constantly sleeping in the same bed as Saito and Louise is becoming very annoying. It feels so forced to me, just a reason to keep their relationship from developing too much. I like her antics with Louise as long as Saito is not around though.

Although the start of the season was pretty good, the last few episodes didn't really feel like ZnT to me though. Somehow it felt like a regular harem anime. Maybe the silence before the storm? I didn't really like it, but I guess we did get quite a lot of development in the love area.

I think these last few episode were meant for Saito and Louise to become truly honest with their feelings. All of this (everyone trying to 'claim' Saito) mostly happened because Saito wasn't clear towards others about his feelings for Louise. He's very honest about these feelings when he's alone or with Louise, but he wasn't honest about these feelings when other girls tried to make a move on him. He was easily seduced by them as well.

The explanation Saito gave this episode is that he's basically used to living a careless life, that he didn't have to think things through before doing them in the past, that he just lived day to day. He thought this was the way to become an adult. That's why he went along with the flow and acted like a 'harem male lead' when he had the chance. He didn't think about he consequences his actions would bring.

After falling for Louise he slowly started to change. But it was only after he nearly lost her during Joseph's arc that he finally realized that he only wants to be with her, even if it means not returning to his world. He realized that she's his reason to live. Only now he understands that he has been acting like a fool all this time. He wants to be with Louise, so he can't live like that anymore. He has to change for her.

He was finally able to tell this to Henrietta as well. (If she or Tabitha makes another move on him after they clearly heard his true feelings, they completely lose all respect from me) I hope Saito will show this conviction to all other girls from now on. If he's able to tell Henrietta, he should be able to tell the others about his true feelings too. It would make things a lot easier for him and Louise.

I liked the romantic scenes between Saito and Louise throughout the season though. I think their relationship IS developing. Especially Louise is putting a lot of effort and I think she's grown a lot since the beginning. She's not the withdrawn, proud, arrogant girl she was in the beginning anymore. She opened up to her friends and especially Saito.
First it was only Saito making moves on Louise, but in the last few episode Louise seems to be making lots moves on Saito as well. She doesn't seem to care that he's her Tsukaima or a plebeian anymore. She's also able to honestly tell him that she wants to be with him, which she had trouble with in the past.
She is constantly trying to get closer to Saito and gets hurt because he lets the other girls make moves on him. She constantly feels betrayed and sad because of this and takes it out on Saito (who deserves it most of the times).

But now that Saito realized his mistakes (and Henrietta and Tabitha should be out of the way) I hope they'll continue to improve their relationship. I guess Louise's final opponent, Tiffania, will come into play now.

I hope the next arc will feel like ZnT again.