View Single Post
Old 2012-12-18, 22:13   Link #294
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Ungoliant was always one of my favorite characters. Her backstory is very mysterious and implies Iluvatar did not create her, that instead she sprang from 'nothingness' itself. She even grows to the power of opposing Morgoth at one point if I recall, though he eventually puts her down.
She grows larger than him, iirc. Larger than the guy who was like a tower in height, as they say. Although it's never clear just how tall Melkor was; on one hand, you'd think a guy who could alter the landscape during battles with the other Valar, have a foot whose weight was like a "fallen hill" on Fingolfin's neck, and create dragons large enough to crush mountains would be impossibly huge, like, God of War Titan sizes (which could be fitting, since he is essentially Tolkien's Satan). But on the other, such a colossus wouldn't exactly be able to have a traditional duel with Fingolfin, or have a crown whose jewels could each fit in a man's hand. I think at minimum, he had to have been as large as the FotR Balrog, no smaller.

But yeah, Ungoliant became an even fouler thing. And this art of her and Melkor is one of my favorites from the Silmarillion

Spoiler:

Quote:
Indeed, and the Ainur make our usual power players like Gandalf pale in comparison. The ever-so-feared Sauron is merely a lesser Ainur... Kinda feels like we're discussing Dragonball powerlevels here, but with so much more epicness involved.
It's better because the power levels here don't consist of cheesy shouneny superhero powers

Last edited by Xagzan; 2012-12-18 at 22:41.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote