View Single Post
Old 2011-05-15, 15:41   Link #74
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VentAileron View Post
Depends how those stories and characters are placed in the first product you mentioned. If it's a fully concluded story and/or well developed characters, yes, going for a sequel is not strange at all. But when something is missing (like what I suggested in your quotation), it's a different story. Then it isn't "Hey, I really like this story/these characters, so I want to hear more about them.", but "Hey, what in the world happened in the end and who in the world is that guy?". It's as if one can't judge a certain product without being redirected to other works.
In Madoka Magica's case, it seems that we agree that the characters are indeed underdeveloped. But can we can call it something that 'should have been there?
Can the holes in characterization really be called something that is 'missing' from the series, though? As far as I recall there was never a moment where I had to sit back and truly wonder why the characters were acting the way they were, and honestly, I never noticed any strict problems until you brought it up. Yeah they're underdeveloped, and yeah spending more time fleshing them out would have been nice, but with the length of the story that's perfectly understandable. Of course that doesn't mean that I'm in favor of the idea that all problems would be solved had the series been longer; quite the opposite actually, since there really wasn't enough material to warrant more than maybe 2-3 more episodes.

Fleshing out the characters would be nice, and Madoka Magica has enough going for it in its story to make a sequel something I'd pounce on eagerly; if said sequel fleshes out the characters more, then that's just a bonus. That's all I was arguing.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote