Thread: Licensed BLACK ROCK SHOOTER TV series
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-16, 08:40   Link #1063
novalysis

The last few episodes have been really, really surprisingly strong, but unfortunately, the weakness and terrible character development of the first few episodes rob the premise of the execution it deserves.

The primary issue it seems to me is simply pacing. We are given to little time to sympathize with the cast, with the secondary problem that their cast is quite weakly written.

In any case, the premise of BRS reminds me strongly of Madoka Magica. Truth to be told, under more competent directing early on, and a slightly clearer and more organized and well paced plot, I'd dare say that this anime could have had the potential at least to be a good anime based on the atmosphere and sub-genre of magical girl and fantasy that Madoka Magica carved a niche for itself in.

I'd really like to see a season 2 here, more properly paced (preferably with two cour), better directed, with better characterization, and with the premise even more thoroughly explored. They have ended with a very, very good premise to spin off potentially well written stories out of. Considering that Guilty Crown netted excellent sales.... and the vast legion of fans BRS likely has, I think that BD sales might well be high enough for a second season exploring deeper into the premise that the BRS anime attempted to build up and establish.

It's a shame, but I think BRS is yet another example why certain plots are very exceedingly difficult to be told in a single cour, let alone 8 episodes. In that manner, I think it suffers from a similar problem to Angel Beats - excellent premise, potentially interesting character but terrifyingly atrocious pacing and very rushed and compressed plot.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote