Thread: Licensed BLACK ROCK SHOOTER TV series
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-16, 17:28   Link #1078
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoCat View Post
I'd draw a distinction between physical pain and psychological pain (note: my Japanese isn't good enough to have caught whether different words were used in the original dialogue - maybe someone can comment?). In the real world, the psychological damage Yuu received at the hands of others goes unpunished, whereas the only response available to her - physical violence - would have been ineffectual or quickly curtailed. In the Otherworld, the freedom to act without thinking, to inflict suffering on others, even if physical pain were possible or even certain, would be incredibly cathartic for someone with Yuu's background. Ep.7 suggests, for me, the reason for Yuu's smile after the fire in Ep.6; it was a smile of "You know, don't you? This is what I wanted to do. I'm stoic on the outside, but inside there's a terrible fury waiting to escape."
Actually, we don't actually ever see Yuu attacking anyone throughout the entire series. Most of the time we see her is spending time watching from a distance or dragging the corpses of BRS victims into that huge hole in the ground. That seems to indicate more that she actively avoids conflicts, and the reason why she asked Saya to protect her when she decided to go to the other world. We don't know what happened to Yuu after she went over to the otherworld, but we do have some clues to what happened to Strength in the real world. Given that BRS was there ten years ago she would have gambled that she would survived her encounters in the otherworld, meaning her chance to inflict pain on others and using that as a cathartic experience would have been short lived during that time.