Thread: Anime Elitists?
View Single Post
Old 2003-11-16, 12:48   Link #7
u&t

Not to be nitpicking here but the word "elitist" don't apply to animefans at all. Looking up the word on dictionary.com:

2 entries found for elitist.
e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-ltzm, -l-)
n.

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
1. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
2. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

Which is a bit off the mark i.m.o. A better word would be "arrogance":

arrogance

\Ar"ro*gance\, n. [F., fr. L. arrogantia, fr. arrogans. See Arrogant.] The act or habit of arrogating, or making undue claims in an overbearing manner; that species of pride which consists in exorbitant claims of rank, dignity, estimation, or power, or which exalts the worth or importance of the person to an undue degree; proud contempt of others; lordliness; haughtiness; self-assumption; presumption.

I hate not you for her proud arrogance. --Shak.

Syn: Haughtiness; hauteur; assumption; lordliness; presumption; pride; disdain; insolence; conceit; conceitedness. See Haughtiness.

Still not nice being called arrogant but members of any subculture are perceived as arrogant by the mainstream. Everytime you think someone is ignorant or stupid they usuallly think you're arrogant. I don't have a problem with that. It's just the balance of things (or thoughts in this case)...