View Single Post
Old 2011-06-06, 14:57   Link #776
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
Okay, basically, I'm annoyed that you guys keep using meta reasons first, like 'x will win because she's on the cover of the volume', and then bringing up the actual reason why they won second, like what actually goes on in the story is somehow less important. Every story might as well be the same if you're gonna do that.

(And yes I know I've done this for Force, but Vivid is way better about this in general.)
Is it, though? Of course, ViVid is in a tournament fighting arc, so those kind of metastory-prescribed results are a little more blatantly obvious, but if everyone is talking about the metastory first off and only thinking of the "in-story" explanations later, doesn't that suggest that to this audience that the story's kind of failing to create the suspension of disbelief necessary for people to think that the resolution of conflicts does have to do with the "in-story" explanations? I mean, sure, metastory does pretty much describe why everything happens in fiction, but it's the job of the writer to involve us in the story enough not to be constantly thinking about that.
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote