View Single Post
Old 2011-12-21, 06:29   Link #131
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

ok, first of all, I'm on holidays and using a laptop with a really weird keyboard. trying to eliminate all typos, but if I miss something, or type up garbage, sorry -__- I tried....
Also, thanks for the kind words and rep guys, I am touched...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
There's not one villain or character in this show that could touch Dark Bakura...But that's not really the point, the point is that some people are watching this show with an expressed desire to ignore the more "kiddy" (for lack of a better word) elements...I CAN ignore that, so if I'm ignoring that and am still seeing so many problems, that is what it is...
Oh true, I loved Bakura, and while I was watching it, most of the time I didn't even remember it's technically a kids show because the plot was thick and the characters well fleshed out, even villains and side characters. Age on the other hand hasn't even managed to add much depth to their main cast, and even if it gets better later, shows have to impress during the first couple of episodes. A lot of people don't have the patience to dedicate months to giving the show a chance, so having a strong first arc even at the risk of having a weak middle arc would've been favorable to establish a fanbase first. The more I think about it, the less I understand the executive decisions that were made with Age..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vena View Post
That, to me, is exemplified and expressed by deformed proportions ala digimon or pokemon, and kiddy direction, delivery, and thematics (tying this into my definition of a visual media). (...) The kids look like kids, the adults look like adults, and the giant toys flying through space look like giant toys flying through space. Its not extravagantly detailed, its not extra beautiful but there's nothing in this that is making me thing kiddy. Its just plain.
I do agree with you Vena, the art style shouldn't be the main reason for criticism.
I think a lot of people are indirectly talking about the sloppy direction etc as well when they complain about the art. And plain is a good word to describe it, hits the nail on the head. Thing is, the kids look too much like kids. I don't know, but they seem to be about 6-8 years old, definitely younger looking than for example the digimon kids and surely not 13 or what. It just feels somehow awkward to see these supposed 6 year olds hanging around on a military ships and giving advice to the adults, far worse than in other Gundam shows. Because really, they look like preschoolers, not teens.

Btw, it's funny you would mention Digimon because when I first saw what Age looked like, I though of the designs in Digimon Savers for some reason.
The thing with Digimon is though that it isn't trying to be about adult topics while being scripted like a kids introduction to war and peace.
Same goes for pokemon, it has a style appropriate for what it is, and it's funny and entertaining within that scope. There's little fault to find with Pokemon at all, in fact it appeals to adults for being funny, and kids for being a quality kids show.
Basically what wingdarkness said, and Madoka is intentionally misleading, FLCL is just Gainax being awesome.
Age can't boast any of that so far, it's just Sunrise being unwise.

You made a good point about Flit being a bit of a puppet as well. Hopefully that was intentionally written this way and will be explored, along with the mutinity having consequences, instead of just being bad writing, because that would be a glimmer of brilliance right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama
You know what's funny, usually in modern anime it always seems to be the Male lead that we want to see man up and become a proper hero, but Gundam AGE has sort of turned it around a bit by making the female lead the one that starts off somewhat immature and doesn't quite get the big picture, but honestly I think she's already managed to get there after the talk with Madorna's girl. Honestly can't recall her making a scene ever since that point and she just seems to have accepted that Flit if going to be a part of this fight and to allow him to do what he wants and support him in any way she can rather than trying to intervene on his behalf.
Good point, now that you mention it. It would be quite great if this led to Emily getting some massive development and becoming the Best Girl by the end of this arc, as I don't think people are expecting much from her except getting knocked up and being an annoying motherly type. I mean it would be great if she had some role other than the nothing she's been given and playing second fiddle to Yurin. But maybe I'm being a bit optimistic here, there's not many episodes left. I think Flit is immature too though, he doesn't understand what he's doing, he's a puppet like some said (which is funny too, actually, that relates him to classic female leads, the whole puppet princess thing.. hahaaa) and he hasn't shown much emotional depth or thought so far. He's like 'yey, Gundam. Yey, cute girl.whatever, emily. Yey, Gundam.' Man up, kid
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote