Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-21, 10:11   Link #24288
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I do not disagree with the perception that economic uncertainty is high right now, but I do not see much evidence that it has to do with which American party controls the White House. Europe is a mess; demand in Asia, especially from China, is slowing; and the US economy has not expanded fast enough since the Recession to pick up the slack. "Too much funny money" around is probably a criticism of the Fed's "quantitative easing" policies, and maybe the actions of the European and Chinese banking systems as well. I'd be curious whether this person had the same opinion in 2007 when enormous sums were invested in over-valued real-estate derivatives. Lots of "funny money" around then, too.

So I just do not see much justification for the claim that if we only were to elect Mitt Romney the economic ship would be righted once again. Uncertainty is a fundamental aspect of the modern world and an obvious consequence of globalization. Romney as President can do little to affect Eurozone finances, Chinese growth paths, or other large sources of uncertainty. I can think of one major source of uncertainty, a war with Iran, that would be worsened under a Romney Administration staffed with people like John Bolton.

One type of uncertainty that will be reduced in a Romney Administration is whether the rich will continue to prosper. Romney's proposals will further redistribute income to the wealthy, a policy begun under Reagan, accommodated by Clinton, and massively accelerated under G.W. Bush. The guys (and I'm guessing they are still mostly guys) on those conference calls would certainly prefer to see that type of "uncertainty" reduced.

I cannot support Romney or most any current Republican because they espouse disgustingly right-wing social agendas. But even without that motivation, I cannot support the Republicans because they advocate policies that will only exacerbate our already astounding trends in income inequality. An Obama Administration may not be able to reverse these trends substantially, but it will not make them worse the way a Romney Administration will.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?