View Single Post
Old 2006-01-14, 23:24   Link #404
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran
Cerridwen, you seem to have a very strange definition of complicated.
Well, if you think Lacus is complicated...

Quote:
By this same logic, you can boil most the stories in the world to "Hero defeats Villain". This kind of minimalism is rather nonsensical and impotent without supporting reasoning.
Well, a world without Lacus' reason is a world of utter evilness. Therefore, in order to rid this world of evilness, you must have the GODDESS shine her radiant and revivifying dust for them all so that they could all follow her innate wisdom and benevolence towards a brighter tomorrow.

Seriously, this was GSD in a nutshell.

Quote:
Pshaw.
Pshaw for acceptance or pshaw for ?

Quote:
You know, you could give a few examples instead. Or at least put some paragraph breaks in there. Generally, the use of flippant remarks is a sign indicating a lack of critical thinking faculties.
Oh that is just harsh.

Just because a person is saying something in a different manner doesn't mean that he's incapable of thinking critically...

Quote:
You're overlooking the fact that the primary trait displayed by both of them at the beginning is naivete. They're both kids, and they are presented as such. Also, only the unobservant would interpret Fllay's attitude simply as "mean" or "cruel", at least early on. Oh well, it was a good try.
Lacus naive? rofl, that is just about the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Anyway, seriously...

Lacus is the Mary Sue who could do no wrong and Fllay was the girl who did everything "wrong". As for addressing the fans who lambast Fllay for being manipulative, bitch, etc., etc...some of the fans who hate Fllay actually think this way, so you also call them unobservant? Expect more fireworks about this statement soon...

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. This entire passage doesn't seem to have any coherent arguments.
It just means Fllay >>>>>>>>>>>> Lacus.

Fllay didn't really make a very huge impact on people until she left. That, I think, is just about the only thing that makes her >>>>>>>>>>>> Lacus any given day (well...she's beautiful and she has lots of unusual charisma in her which is quite believable for some of the male fans on this board so this could also count as a point why she is >>>>>> Lacus), in spite of all those Lacus dust spiels, she would just only be remembered as Lacus Clyne, the name, the face, the voice, while Fllay Allster will always be remembered as Fllay Allster, not just because of the lipstick, but of who she was at the end.

Quote:
I could say that While Fllay tried to manipulate Kira, that's not the essence of her character. Or I could go on about how Lacus didn't really manipulate Kira. And I could show how tenuous this connection is, but none of this is necessary.
One word and Kira's hooked. How is that not manipulative?

Quote:
The purpose of a character foil is to emphasize a character trait through contrast. Thus, it is essential that the primary character still exhibits (or will exhibit in the near future) the trait being contrasted. However, after Kira "died", Fllay changed. In fact, she changed so much that she no longer bore the trait of "manipulative". So how can Lacus help to emphasize a trait that the primary character no longer has?
Actually, she was only being evilly manipulative from the start of the Desert Arc until the trip to Orb. After that, she was not manipulative anymore.

Lacus was still emphasizing traits Fllay had, that is being unselfish, being open to all the things that were going on around them, and being very forgiving about it in the end (I am pertaining to Lacus here). Fllay started off by being selfish, being closed minded on all things because of her upbringing, and wasn't very forgiving; but she changed after the series, to which she understood more about the ugly thing called war, started thinking of others and not just herself, and forgave Kira for being a Coordinator, that is, she actually loved him in the end for being Kira and not because of her selfish little ways of trying to get back at the Coordinators. She also apologized for being so wrong and so hurtful to others, especially Kira. Fllay was more believable in a sense that she actually changed throughout the series in a very realistic way, not so like Lacus who remained like that until the end of GSD.

Quote:
kodachrome, you would have been more successful if you said "Fllay and Lacus are both girls." Seriously, you're just grasping at straws here.
There are girls out there who are like Fllay and Lacus. That is why there are cliques, and who's most popular and who's not, etc., etc. I've had my share of reading teenage novels, I've been through a Catholic highschool, so it's not really surprising that there are girls who people love to hate and people who love to admire.

Quote:
You may be surprised. People may not like these characters because they dislike and can recognize that type of person in real life. Simply put, realistic != likable.
But they're real enough to survive in the real world, if they would be able to. Lacus, in her unrealistic sense of being the GODDESS, would probably find it very hard to live in a world where every time she tries to make a Lacus dust spiel, she just gets back.

Quote:
Your last passage doesn't address the issue of foils at all. To summarize, if you want to compare and contrast Lacus and Fllay, feel free to do so. It's a worthy endeavour, and you might learn some useful insights. If you want to claim that they are character foils, then you're going to need some better supporting logic.
Lacus = foil of Fllay

Shinn = foil of Kira

Shinn and Fllay = Kira and Lacus = foils of each other and what have you

Shinn + Fllay

Put them together and what have you got? Mind boggling hotness.

Seriously...

The reason why they are foils could be aptly seen in the entire series of GS and GSD. Fllay was everything Lacus wasn't. Shinn was everything Kira wasn't.

It's not that hard to understand, right?

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote