View Single Post
Old 2007-03-29, 08:45   Link #27
MysticNinjaJay
Ninja Emperor

Sasuke did say once that Itachi chose him to be the avenger of the clan and spared him because he did not want to live with the guilt of killing the entire clan.

But is that sort of compassion realistic for someone who would slaughter everyone including his own parents? Never mind his hardass father, what about his MOTHER?!

I have no doubt that he has a soft spot for his little bro which was evident in some of the flashbacks, I don't think it was just an act as he claimed, but the real reason he kept Sasuke alive probably has more to do with believing that his ultimate rival must be an Uchiha as he will reach a level of strength where only a fellow Sharingan master can oppose him.

As far as Akatsuki is concerned, Itachi may have an ulterior motive beyond the ambitions the Leader spoke of for the group , but I think he does value what they are doing.

He took a great risk to come back to Konoha where he is a wanted man on the level of an Al Qaeda leader.

When encountering Sasuke he viewed him as a nuisance and only gave him attention when he showed great desperation in trying to defeat him. So he did Tsukiyomi again to give him motivation to try harder to surpass him.

It's clear that at that moment Sasuke was not his main interest. He likely has something in store for Sasuke down the road, which is related to the "true purpose" of Sharingan.