View Single Post
Old 2013-01-04, 00:06   Link #14
cyberbeing

Back in 2008, I was in a similar $500 budget range and dilemma about the best upgrade path for beginner DSLR.

There were two options:

A) Buy a more expensive DSLR kit, and be stuck with a sub-par kit lens for a year or so. Upgrade path: Lens-only short-term. Plan to keep the camera body for many many years without upgrading, in order to maximize value. Potential for large economical loss if I bought any lens new, and decided to move to a different brand (lens mount) in the future.

B) Buy whatever DSLR would allow me to buy a quality prime & telephoto while still staying within budget. No immediate lens needs short-term, and I could use the DSLR to near full potential right away. Potential in the future to sell everything as a set for minimal loss, and potentially move to another brand when I could afford a $1000 (-$ from selling old stuff) budget.

If you have a steady income, and are willing to allocate your disposable income to buying camera gear over a number of years, going the route of A) is probably the best value.

If you have unreliable long-term disposable income (i.e. student), going with route of B) can be more favorable.

I was a student at the time, so after scouring Craigslist and Ebay and review sites for a few weeks, I ultimately decided to go the route of B). I had found a like-new Sony A350 kit locally off Craigslist for $350 (vs. $699 MSRP new), as well as a set of some classic high-quality Minolta 50mm f/1.7, 70-210mm f/4 (beercan) lens with a great quality:value, a carrying case, as well an unknown Minolta 35-70mm lens, all for an additional $200. While this particular Sony did have some noteworthy disadvantages, it also had a few features which made it more friendly as a beginner DSLR. Unfortunately, my interest and time for frequent photography waned after a couple years, but I'm sure I'll have the itch to do a major upgrade if I ever get serious again.

Lessons learned:
1) It can be economically advantageous to bide your time until you find a great deals on the used DSLR and Lens market.
2) At the bare minimum you'll want a fast ~50mm Prime, general-purpose Zoom, and a Telephoto lens to get the most out of your DSLR. I would recommend holding off buying anything until your budget allows buying all these basic lenses within 6 months -> 12 months of buying your DSLR.
3) Most higher-end gear is priced in such a way to only be economically viable value to semi-pros->pros who make a profit off their photography. If you only plan to use your DSLR for casual photography, you'll need to live to accept that the majority of semi-pro -> pro grade cameras and lens will always have a horrible price:performance value for your use-case.
4) Before you lock yourself into any particular brand / lens-mount, it's a good idea to map out your future budget, lens purchases, and well as potential upgrade path, so you don't regret your decision years down the line.
5) If you never taken a photography class before, consider looking for an affordable Beginner Digital Photography class at a local community college or similar.