Thread: Visiting Japan
View Single Post
Old 2010-09-19, 23:55   Link #886
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

In Japan right now on a study abroad (Yes, Nishinomiya, Haruhi`s city, between Osaka and Kobe; I think I even walk past the school that the author models SOS-dan`s school after every day -- argh that damn hill) and liking it so far. Question though:

How best to enjoy Osaka and Kyoto (and Kobe too maybe)?

Points of consideration:

1) I`m relatively poor.
2) Tour guide-style guided traveling isn`t exactly the most interesting. Yes, temples, woo.
3) I`ve always romanticized the Flaneur, but I`m not exactly good enough in Japanese to be walking around totally blind.
4) Ryoukan > Western Hotels, except for toilets
5) As said above, I`m sitting tight between Osaka and Kobe within walking distance of a JR station, but JR prices are quite expensive (any interesting discount options I should know?)
6) Will be here up to January. Fall and Winter, that is. What`s there to see that I shouldn`t ever miss?
7) The "Night Life" which Osaka at least is famous for isn`t for me. Alcohol = no thanks. Parties = not my jazz. Soaplands = fuck you...no, I don`t mean I actually will...ah screw it...I, I mean.... ...
8) What`s the best way to transport seven hundred tons of manga back home without exorbitant fees and customs annoyances?
9) Where to buy anime stuff for cheap in Kansai? Is Nipponbashi the right place?
10) Should I, or should I not, ever try to enter a maid/tsundere/butler(!?) cafe?

Spoiler for Points of Interest:

Last edited by Irenicus; 2010-09-20 at 00:06.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote