View Single Post
Old 2008-03-20, 00:10   Link #847
Mangaka-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Gundam 00 Episode 23 is up.

One thing I will mention here as well is the sudden realization of the symbolism in the ending that I had:

It all starts off very happy as Lockon is giving Setsuna a haircut and watching over the rest of the Meister’s as they prepare meals for the group. Suddenly though the scissors symbolizing his grooming of Setsuna into a more focuses individual fall….kind of like he’s no longer there to hold them, and the river turns to blood. Lockon’s blood. Now all the Meisters are seen grieving as a feather shrivels up (Symbolizing Lockon's life fading away) and Lockon seems to hang his head in shame as if he feels he has failed them and the world. In the end we see Setsuna casting off his apron in bold determination as if his grooming is finished and he’s ready to let go of Lockon’s presence as a mentor and step out on his own to hopefully change the world. The very last thing we see though are the barber scissors sitting next to Haro, symbolizing that Haro is keeping Lockon’s legacy and memories close to him still so that while they are no longer a corporeal part of this world, they are not forgotten.

Mm, I don't quite agree with that assessment of the ED though there is definitely a lot of symbolism. I too see the dropped scissors as a symbol of Lockon's death, but the following animation of Tieria and Allelujah I tend to match more with the lyrics that is sung at that moment. For Tieria especially, because the lyrics are: "Even if you show courage and pretend to be strong/You can't live all alone". Lockon pointed out in epi 22 that Tieria appears strong but is fragile inside. As for Allelujah I see it as implying he cannot come to terms with who he is (i.e. Hallelujah) so he can't bear to look in the mirror. For Lockon's portion I see it as him grieving over the destruction of him home and family, and feeling powerless and frustrated.

I think the feather is a sign of hope, but while it is burned and seemingly destroyed it in fact becomes sparks of GN particle that brings new hope to people. The reason why I say this is because everyone looks up from their grief (Marina, Louise) when they notice the light of the GN particles. And lastly the four meisters gaze up at what appears to be a green bird, presumably formed from the GN particles earlier, and Setsuna smiles. The bird I think symbolizes a dove of peace, and it represents the ideal that Setsuna (and the other meisters) are trying to achieve.

P.S. I love your weekly blog review of 00. Reading it helps me further my own understanding of the show and it’s nice to read a review that actually shares the same opinion of the show that I have.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote