View Single Post
Old 2011-09-02, 17:26   Link #1064
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
RRR, if you read my blog you know I said the next episode is likely going to be the critical one in determining whether this show succeeds or fails - so I certainly agree 100% with you there.

In terms of Shouma's death being a catalyst for a transformation in Ringo, than frankly wouldn't give me a whole lot of satisfaction. Ringo did nothing to deserve salvation, especially at the cost of the life of a far better person than she. Now if ikuhara is going for a kind of nihilist, "no justice" view of the universe, that would certainly be an effective way of illustrating the point.

It would be a bold move indeed to kill off the only character in the series that's both sensible and decent (I can't count Himari and Tabuki as they're basically mannequins at this stage). Really, only Ringo and Shouma have gotten significant development so far, and Ringo is at best an anti-hero. But Ikuhara is certainly capable of boldness, and his track record isn't that of a guy who normally likes sympathetic protagonists, so it's definitely possible. I'd still guess Shouma isn't dead, though I'd expect the question to be dragged out for at least an episode or two.
I've been trying to figure out what Ikuhara's "end game" for Ringo is for the past two weeks now, because you can't keep her in this state of fruitless romantic pursuit forever (well, you could, but it would turn MPD into a self-parody. )

The vague sense I'm starting to get of Ringo right now is that of "Tragic Character". Either that, or she snaps out of it... but that in turn could still ultimately lead to "Tragic Character".

Should Ringo be forced to face reality, I think she'll be left an emotionally broken mess. Just think of what she's lost - Her sister, her father (in a sense), her romantic aspirations, and now she might lose a guy that's really been her best friend for awhile now (whether she wants to admit it or not). If I was a Vegas odds-maker, I'd put good odds on Ringo coming crashing down soon (within the next two or three episodes).

Short of a major game-changer that lets her win over Tabuki, that's the only "end game" I can see for Ringo now.

Mind you, this is presuming that Ikuhara realizes that he shouldn't just spam hopeless yandere Ringo for the rest of the anime. If he does spam her that way, I'll be 100% with you on MPD then.

Good and interesting blog write-up on MPD's latest episode. My current assessment is less negative than yours, but it's mainly a question of faith for me: I think Ikuhara is smart enough to realize what he now could do with Ringo if he were so inclined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
Oh ho ho boy.. Frankly i did not see this coming but it's starting to mirror that nitro anime a lot now.
Glad you liked my comparison there.

Edit: One thing I want to add here. It's not that I want Ringo to continue to be the star of the show. Quite the contrary. Her arc needs to end soon, but given how much time its been given, I would find it a huge waste to just leave Ringo where she is now. Basically, she's been built up to a major turning point (or tragic end), and now its time (imo) for Ikuhara to smoothly finish off the part of the story that focuses on her: He can do it in one more Ringo-focused episode, and be done with it. Then we can get back to Himari and Kanba.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-09-02 at 17:50.